Thursday, November 11, 2010

Adult Activities

I was prepared to write all about my lovely grown-up dinner last night. It was a lovely evening of excellent food, good wines, good company and OTC cold medicine. It was the sort of thing you always imagined you’d do as an adult. It was quite pleasant and I was stoked to write about it. Until I got to my car this morning.

My poor car has been brutalized by the city. I know it is one of the hazards of owning a car in the city; you do run the risk of the occasional dent and ding but this morning I was really taken aback. My right rear tail-light was completely smashed out, just gouged right out of its housing.  I was appalled. I hoped in vain that some considerate American might leave a note on my windshield apologizing for hitting my vehicle with their insurance information and of course, I was disappointed.  So I was put off from my original thoughts of Adult fun and grown-up responsibility and it was replaced with a grumpy old man sentiment and fist shaking anger, “Damn you darn Teenagers!”

It brings me to a greater point about adults and responsibility, today is Veteran’s Day and it’s important we take some time to remember the very adult decisions we asked a lot of our young men and woman to make in the defense of our country.  Most of those Vets were and are barely out of their 20’s and yet we rely so heavily on them to protect us and defend us in the world. To them we owe a huge debt and I sincerely salute their sacrifice.

I would also leave a note if I hit one of their cars out on the street. I respect them so damn much.

Anyway, there’s no shame in thanking a Vet if you see one on the street or at the airport or cheering on your favorite local sports team. We owe them at least that.* And if you hit their car, or anyone’s car for that matter, be an adult and leave a note. Take responsibility.












*(We also owe our Vets the opportunity to use what they learn in the workforce and make sure they have excellent health care and benefits for the families they often leave behind)

No comments:

Post a Comment