Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Holy Election Results

I’m a big fan of politics. I consider it the true American pastime, far outweighing baseball or football as this country’s national sport. (Sorry NASCAR) It’s in our very nature as Americans to be political. This country was founded as a political experiment and 234 years later the experiment continues. We love our politics almost as much as we love our open roads, tall buildings and snooty moral superiority over indigenous peoples.

This year however, I’m more nervous than I have ever been. I’ve always voted. I don’t think I’ve ever missed an election, for anything. I haven’t even missed a Primary election. The first thing I did when I turned 18 years old was to register to vote. I couldn’t wait to express myself and help control the destiny of this great nation. But after yesterday I feel, for the first time, that my vote didn’t count.

This is a difficult concept to accept. I’m not saying that I’ll stop voting, I’ll continue to vote as it is a privilege to participate in government, but I don’t know what it’ll matter. Yesterday it would seem American’s voted less about what should be done and more about the things they are afraid of.  Six formerly Democratic states went Republican last night, including my beloved Illinois. This allowed the Republican Party to obtain a majority in the House. This sweeping change makes me worried for any possible growth or progress.

Fear is the enemy of progress; be it scientifically or socially. It is fear that has kept America from embracing its destiny as the true beacon of hope and civility for the world. I hope our newly elected representatives do not keep Americans afraid of each other and of the real world. I hope that they strive for compromise in areas, where for far too long, there has been none.

I hope sanity amongst the electorate is the desire. I hope the governing body we’ve elected work together on the serious economic concerns of regular Americans. I do not want to see another upper class tax break or more ridiculous devotion to “trickle down” economics. We’ve seen that just doesn’t work no matter who the majority is. I hope Education and comprehensive healthcare is seriously reviewed with an eye for what would be best for the least of our society.  

In light of this governmental change I still have faith in this republic we hold so dear and I hope reason and accountability rule the days ahead.  I’m optimistic, but I’m still wringing my hands and biting my fingernails.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, fear without thought is not a way create a strong America for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel when you say that your vote didn't count this election. I and many others felt that ours didn't count in the last one with such blatant and rife voter fraud, committed by government-funded community action groups, such as ACORN.

    If you look a little more closely at the numbers, the democratic senators and congressmen who were thrown out of office all voted for the health care legislation, in the face of public sentiment running in excess of 70% against the bill.

    To me, this is simply accountability: don't serve the will of your electorate, and you will go home.

    ReplyDelete