Friday, December 17, 2010

Jingle Bells

Today is my company’s holiday party; or as we used to call it, The Christmas Party. Apparently we can’t call it that anymore. That’s just inappropriate. I’m not sure to whom though because everyone is Catholic. I take that back, we have one non-practicing Jewish woman in the office. Other than that, we all apparently believe in Christmas and its religious significance.  And yet, we still have to call it the holiday party.  

Holiday parties have always been the stuff of legend in this company. Several years ago a colleague got so drunk in the first hour he spent the rest of the evening sleeping in his car in the parking lot. Another former employee had an incredible time pretending she was a Bond girl and stood on nearly every table she could find. Another young lady couldn’t stop pulling a hooded sweatshirt over another guy’s face; this provided several hours of entertainment.  And yet, I’ve gone home alone every year. That’s probably a good thing, I’m sure.  (cough).

The reality of the Christmas party is something else though. It’s time that could be better spent away from the people you are forced to spend the majority of your day with.   I spend more time with these people than with my own family. I think that’s true for a lot of people. I don’t love these people. I wouldn’t go to their house and spend any time with them. I wouldn’t expect them to come to mine.  It’s such a strange situation. 

Sadly, this year the company has finally decided to limit our alcohol intake. We may or may not have set several records for libations bought on previous occasions. We like our drink for sure. This year we get two drink tickets and then we’re on our own. I think this will lead to a very early end to the Christmas party. Which is okay I suppose. It’s just more time for me to get home, and then go to the corner bar.  Merry Holiday Party to all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment