Monday, January 31, 2011

Keep Calm

I’m not sure if whether the weather will wither our human souls or not, but it seems to have everyone a little nervous. The mid-west and east are expected to get punched in the face soon with some explicit blizzard conditions. I just want to take a moment to remind everyone to stay calm.

Winter is not something new, unless you’re less than twelve months old or just moved here from a place where snow doesn’t exist, then the frozen water crystals piling up outside won’t be some sort of plague sent by God to punish the wicked. So I will need everyone to remain calm and cool. It’s not the end of the world or a new Ice Age bearing down on us. As human beings we’ve managed to survive quite worse with much less.

I know there will be moments when all will seem lost but I hope we all can remember that Spring is nearly around the corner and we won’t have to end up eating each other like the Donner party.  Just be prepared and all will be right. I don’t want this whole weather phenomenon to be a surprise to anyone. Like, “Oh man it totally snowed a ton last night, crap. I should have closed my car windows”.

By July we’ll all have forgotten about the, “Blizzard of 2011”, and we’ll be too mad that the Cubs suck so badly to care.  

Speaking of other things to keep calm about, take it easy Egypt. I saw a scroll along the bottom of CNN yesterday where vandals in the Egyptian National Museum tore the heads off two ancient mummies. All I could think of was, “Jackasses”. Talk about misunderstanding a cause. Also the Egyptian military took a few pot shots at around 2,000 to 3,000 people gathered in Alexandria (named by Alexander the Great of course). This is just intimidation apparently. I worry about the logic of that. “Hey, calm these protesters down. Let’s take a couple of shots at them”. Brilliant.

I really applaud the people's attempts to restructure their government and that for the most part it is has been a peaceful demonstration. I’ve always said that real regime change must come from within the populace and no forces can create it externally.   I just hope everybody remains calm, or at least, as calm as possible. I’d hate for a panic to break out and a bloody coup spill into the surrounding Middle East. Or to relate it to this piece, that there isn’t a blizzard of violence that sweeps across the area and brings about the prophesized Apocalypse as predicted by Nostradamus. But if it does, please let me be the first to say, “I called it”.   

You know, perhaps I should be happy about the Snowmageddon approaching.  Doesn’t seem that bad after all; perhaps I’ll build some snowtesters (Protesters made from snow) and crowd them up in front of my building. Maybe I’ll make little signs for them that say things like, “Sun unfair to Snow people”, or, “Equal rights for refrigeration”. Yeah, that’d be pretty hilarious I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment