Thursday, January 27, 2011

Passions or something like it

I’ve heard a lot of talk about it lately, be it in business or in one’s personal life. Passion is the thing that drives us to try to be better than the sum of our parts.  I’ve been on a long quest to figure out my passions and I’ve yet to clearly determine what really moves me to excel. I know there are a lot of other folks out there that have the same trouble.  I sometimes wonder if we’re more passionate about the search than its actual discovery.

I wonder if we actually found our passion we’d know what to do with it, or would we squander it at the craps table like so many before us. I know what I like to do but I don’t know if that’s what they call “passion”. Is that all it is? I always thought of it as something far more grandiose than just liking something enough to do it over and over and over without going insane.

I know there are areas in my life where passion is certainly lacking. I miss feeling passionate about someone too. I mean, I feel a lot of things for my friends and such, but I don’t remember the last time I was really passionate about someone and filled with a willingness to swim the deepest ocean or climb the highest mountain. (Both of which would result in my death for sure)

There are degrees of passion for all of us for certain and it’s quite a journey to discover what those passions are. I know I enjoy writing these blogs but I’m more passionate about people reading them. I’m imbued with a desire to entertain and I only hope that the readers of this daily (usually daily) blog are pleased. If not, then I’m a failure and ripe for scorn and mistrust, maybe public beatings wouldn’t be out of line.

“Write better, jerk”, slap, slap, punch.

But for the most part I think my writing has sustained all of us somewhat and has kept me relatively injury free.  Thank you kind readers.

I digress; I think I know only two or three people that followed their passions to some amount of fulfillment. I'm quite proud of them and their goal acheiving ways but most are still on the quest to find our passions. I know I am. I hope to find it soon. Although most of the time I think I’m very passionate about retirement, but that seems quite a long ways off sadly. I'm not even sure I'll be able to retire quite frankly.

No comments:

Post a Comment