Tuesday, January 11, 2011

There's no business like snow business

I can appreciate the magic and wonder of a lazy winter snowfall. I can ponder the endless variations of snowflake design as they gently tumble to the ground and cover everything in clean white. 

What I can’t tolerate is driving in it.  Well, that’s not a hundred percent accurate. I can’t stand other people driving in it. When the snow is coming down and the roads are pretty bad, is there a reason to tailgate me? Am I driving too safe for you Mad Max? Is it a rental car you’re driving like a bat out of hell so you couldn’t care less if you swerve into something or somebody? Take it easy Mac.

It’s nerve wracking enough to drive on the highways when they haven’t been salted or plowed yet. No one needs that added pressure of Johnny Speed demon and his hell mobile bearing down on the rear bumper. That’s just stupid, so slow it down out there. I’d rather go a little slower and arrive alive than go really fast and wake up in heaven. (Cause I’m going to heaven for being a great driver)

I do miss actually enjoying the snow however. I remember being a child and playing out in the snow for hours and actually enjoying it. I remember building snowpeople and forts and caches of S.M.D.’s (Snowballs of Mass Destruction) and going to war.  Well, it was always less of a war and more of a conflict resolution strategy. Anyway, I do miss playing in the snow.

It’s important to have a sense of nostalgia about playing in the snow. As a grown person; I have no burning desire to roll around in the cold, wet snow for hours. I might screw around with a girl in a playful, snow romance (snowmance) way for a few minutes, but I’m not going to spend much time constructing an elaborate fortification to defend my territory from invading Postmen and neighbors.

Playing in the snow is certainly for the imaginative child and I say let them have it, all of it. In fact, maybe we should put them in charge of plowing the highways. Wouldn’t that be awesome? 40 big wheels with snow plows on the front, scrambling down the Edens. I suspect the snow tolls (Snowlls) would be pretty expensive though. Me without snowbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment