Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We have the technology

At the company I work there has been a resistance to embrace new technologies that will make our jobs easier. Sadly I can understand why this is since most the alleged technological advancements we’ve received over the years have actually made more work. So I can understand some suspicion about anything new. However, a technology that is available to us is just not being utilized and it’s a shame because it’ll actually make the job so much simpler.

I’ve thrown my hat into the ring to try and coordinate the transition to this new technology. I don’t know if they’ll let me help since I’ve been labeled a malcontent.  I’ve only been labeled such since I’m the guy that always asks, “Why?”
If you just give me a valid reason for doing something I will do it.  If you just tell me to do something because that’s just how it is, I have a very hard time accepting it and will often resist. (I think I do that in my personal life to some degree as well, but that’s another article)

I hope the powers that be will give me the chance to make the job I do and that my colleagues do easier. I’d like the personal respect and pride that goes with making something like that happen. It’s not often in the business I’m in where you can shine independently.  And I like shining.

I think as technology improves most of the jobs we have that used to be buried in mountains of paperwork will finally be milled down into manageable on-line or e-mail based procedures, making the office itself almost irrelevant. That would be pretty nice. Imagine a world where no one really had to commute to work because everything they needed to get there job done was right at their fingertips.

I think that’ll be quite impressive. I look forward to a future in which the immediate recall of information is available anywhere. It’s so close at it is with the Smart Phones and wi-fi and tablet computers. It’s simply amazing what the future holds and if I can stamp my name on that in some way it would be remarkable.

I think this might be my nerdiest blog so far. What happened to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment