Friday, February 4, 2011

I guess there’s some kind of game

I guess there’s some kind of Uber Container game this weekend. I know it has something to do with Football, but I just can’t quite put my finger on it. Hmmm……

Of course I am fully aware of the upcoming Super Bowl game with the loathsome Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.  I’m a Chicagoan and a true blue Bears fan so I just can’t get all that excited. It seems like an ordinary Sunday to me and I should do my laundry. I feel no gravitational force puling me toward Denver or any TV specifically to watch the game. It’s just not all that important to me.

I’d much rather play the game of love. The game of love baby, the game of la la la la love. – Thank you Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders, Game Of Love, lyrics.  (The Mindbenders; man that’s such a cool name for a band.)  That always pops into my head when I think of The Big Game. Seriously, what’s a bigger game than the one between two human hearts? And I’m not talking about organ transplant hop-scotch.

Perhaps it’s not appropriate to call love a game. It’s usually some pretty serious business and it requires more protection than most footballers wear. When you think of games one thinks of out maneuvering your opponent and winning, but I don’t think love is really like that. I think love is something two people work on together without competing and both parties have the same goal. I guess I’d be more inclined to say dating is a game, but love is the trophy.

Dating. Now there’s a true sport; millions of players with millions of stories all about their various conquests, victories and failures. I’m surprised there aren’t more dating reality shoes on television. (Who could ever forget the glory years of Blind Date. Oh, that Pop Up commentary was sooooo funny) I think most dating shows on TV revolve around some wealthy bachelor or lonely, aging rock star. I don’t really watch that stuff though. My own dating reality is far more compelling.

Could you imagine a Super Bowl where the two combatants were a couple that had been dating for eight months and were now at the apex of the next stage of their relationship? Would The Black Eyed Peas play that halftime? You bet your sweet bippy they would. Corporate sponsors would be lining up to paste their names and products all over the couples serious conversation about where this “thing” is going. I can totally hear the commentary from Al Michaels and the sage relationship advice he’d dole out from the broadcast booth. And just imagine no mention of Brett Favre.

So as football season winds down with their big game, I hope I have an opportunity to get into a serious game and win the cheesy, yet somehow meaningful, Heart Trophy and proudly display it on the mantle as my girl and I smile at each other and know we both won the best game of all. – Presented by Goya. http://www.goya.com/english/

No comments:

Post a Comment