Monday, February 21, 2011

President’s Day more than just a great mattress sale

I had to do quite a bit of research on this one today. I remember a time in February when there were two holidays’ to celebrate; Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday and George Washington’s Birthday. If you were lucky enough to grow up in Illinois you got both days off from school. (Illinois being the Land of Lincoln of course.) But then, something happened to change all that and it would seem those holidays were combined into one.

That’s not entirely accurate. President’s Day is a day to remember our first President, George Washington. It’s in honor of his actual birthday and is an actual Federal holiday, whereas Lincoln’s Birthday is not an official Federal holiday. It’s not really clear when all this legislation passed to change the name of the day from George Washington’s Birthday to President’s day; some report that President Nixon had a hand in it. But then, it’s hard to say that for certain as there were a lot of hands in the pot.

What I do know is that it was officially created so Federal employees could have a three day weekend. It’s that simple. Sure it’s to honor President Washington and perhaps all Presidents, but really, it’s so Federal employees could have a three day weekend.  Unlike myself, non-federally employed and sitting in my blasted cubicle ruing the minutes I have to sit here till closing time.

I do say that I miss Lincoln’s Birthday as a more recognized holiday. He was cool. Not to say that George Washington wasn’t cool, he was one tough S.O.B. Being an Illinoisan I have a special affinity for Lincoln. He’s the only President whose house I’ve been to in Springfield, IL. Although I’m sure I could take a ride past President Obama’s old digs here in Chicago, but I’m just not all that nostalgic for that quite yet.   

President’s Day does present the opportunity to marvel at the 43 men that have held this nation’s highest civil service job. It’s amazing to think that we’ve only had 43 Presidents. That doesn’t really seem like much and yet they have left an indelible mark on all of us in one way or another. Some marks harder to forget that others, I’m looking at you Harding.

As I think about it, I’m not sure there should even really be a President’s Day considering the President’s actual job is just to sit and protect the Constitution and serve in the best interest of our checks and balance system of government. The Presidency is merely an office to try to rein in Congress and help guide them toward policies that best serve their employers, namely us.  Maybe it should be People’s Day; or at least back to Washington’s Birthday as I have no problem honoring him for all his acts as one of the first Americans. Anyway, if you have a chance, check out our lovely mattress selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment