Thursday, March 3, 2011

A few thoughts for Thursday

Please, women with children or babies at home who don’t get out of the house too often. There’s no need to party like a 1980’s glam rock star at the local bar on your first free night in a while.  Yes, we can all hear you and we know how much you enjoy the RUN-DMC/Areosmith version of Walk This Way. There’s no need to take your shoes off and try and dance on the bar in your sock feet. Did I mention there’s no need to scream everything you are saying; even though I have no idea what it is you are trying to say? But other than that, have a great time! Watch the highs and lows though. It’s hard to go from dancing on the bar and screaming like an air raid siren to crying in the arms of your friend.  But again, have fun and we hope to see you again soon.

Next,

Border’s and Bankruptcy, that is unfortunate.  They have a huge 20% off everything sale going on so I thought I’d take advantage of that and buy some new books and maybe some cheap CD’s. (Yes, I still buy CDs if I can) I spent an hour in the store yesterday browsing, picking things up and eventually finding four great books and 2 CDs. I took them to the register and the nice young lady rang them up and even with the discount it was still a hearty sum. I took out my checkbook (no I didn’t blow the dust off it. I do use it for my rent and such) and was about to write a check when the clerk stopped and said they can’t accept any personal checks. It would seem that they have no bank to deposit them in. She asked me if I had cash or a credit card. I said I didn’t want to put it on my credit card and I didn’t have that kind of cash on me, hence the check. She said she could take a few items off and maybe get it to an amount of cash I did have. I said that wasn’t the point. I need the cash for later. So I ended up leaving without buying anything.

I was pretty bummed out about that. I was really excited to have some new books and a Beatles CD I never had. Sigh, so goes the way of the local bookstore, like so many Dodo birds on the beach of extinction.

Thirdly,

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the beating of Rodney King by the Los Angeles Police Department. That means the LA Riots 20th anniversary is next year. I wonder how that will be commemorated. I will say however, that blurry video tape of Rodney King and the Police changed almost the whole of American society. It changed the relationship between the people and the police and the people and their justice system. What a decade the 1990’s were.

Finally,

So Happy It’s Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment