Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fonzie was a Punk

After having a wonderful Tuesday evening I woke up this morning with a good punk song in my head. “Judy is A Punk”, was hot on my lips as I dragged myself to the shower.  I know it was originally a Ramones song but I like the Screeching Weasel version better and that’s the one that was in my head.  In fact, it’s still in their now.

I do so enjoy when a really great evening rolls into a really good morning. You might as well call me Katrina and the Waves because I’m walking on Sunshine.  I know it sounds cheesy but it’s true. All I have to do is shake a little sleep from my eyes and I’ll be Captain Awesome for the rest of the day.  Which for me is a nice change from Captain Shut-up.

Captain Shut-up usually complains and whines about every little thing endlessly until someone finally rolls their eyes at him and says, “Will you please shut-up!”
Having been put in his place Captain Shut-Up then cowers in a corner mumbling to himself about the audacity of so and so to yell at him. He’ll plot his imaginary revenge and then seemingly forget about it half an hour later.

Captain Awesome however is completely relaxed and super chill, happy to deliver a kind word and get you to laugh about something. Yes, Captain Awesome is just that, awesome. Although Captain Awesome can be different for everyone I suppose. My version of Captain Awesome is a lot like Fonzie from Happy Days it would seem. Of course, I’m dating myself with that reference.  But Fonzie was the epitome of coolness back in the day and we all wished we could be just a little more like him. Without the blue shorts and the shark jump.

I always imagined God is a little like Fonzie, not like the Church of the Fonz, from Family Guy. I’m talking about the regular Catholic God and his sameness to Fonzie. The God Fonzie is always willing to help you out, but he’d rather you learn your lessons yourself first. He’ll keep you out of trouble and can work the jukebox just by creating one out of thin air. (He is God after all).

Suddenly I’m possessed with starting a band and naming it, “God Fonzie”. That would be awesome. Captain Awesome even.  

No comments:

Post a Comment