Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 2011

So long March, you’ve been an interesting month this year. I’ve had plenty of other March’s that were pretty nonchalant. I mean other than St. Patrick’s Day, March is usually pretty blah. If it were a man I’d probably say March was a milquetoast.

This March however was pretty decent. I can’t complain too much, I got a promotion at work and will soon return to the glories of working downtown. Plus I met a nice girl whom I’d like to get to know better (we’ll see how that goes).    

March has been interesting for lots of reasons; in fact on this day in 1889 the Eiffel Tower was dedicated in Paris. Yes, hundreds of Parisians looked skyward and shrugged. "Ce n'est pas une grande affaire. J'ai du vin pour boire."

Also on this day and something I find incredibly interesting, Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams, wrote the following in a letter to her husband in 1776, "I long to hear that you have declared an independency. And, by the way, in the new code of laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands. Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation."  You go girl. And thanks again History Channel.

Of course it took 150 years from that letter for women to receive the right to vote with the 19th Amendment. But hey, that Abigail was something else. A woman well ahead of her time for certain. Rowr.  (Wink, wink)

What will April bring I wonder? Well if March was any indication, I think it’ll be pretty darn good and I’m excited to get there. I just hope Mother Nature takes it easy on us for a while and lets the world pull up her boxing trunks and fix her hair before the next big environmental sucker punch.

Anyway, Thanks March 2011 for not being a total jerk. If I see you in the hall later I will totally give you the old "what's up", head nod. 

No comments:

Post a Comment