Thursday, April 14, 2011

China in the present

I recently caught this article on CNN’s web site, China Bans Time Travel for Television. It stated that “New guidelines issued on March 31 discourages plot lines that contain elements of "fantasy, time-travel, random compilations of mythical stories, bizarre plots, absurd techniques, even propagating feudal superstitions, fatalism and reincarnation, ambiguous moral lessons, and a lack of positive thinking." http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/14/china-bans-time-travel-for-television/?hpt=C2

This is very strange to me. If it weren’t for shows like Star Trek, Quantum Leap, The X-Files and other time travel/SciFi shows I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be the well rounded individual I am today. I simply cannot imagine a TV line-up that is all present day dramas. It’d be a network of soap operas. Chinese soap operas. I do like that they must have a positive moral lesson however like, 2 year olds smoking cigarettes is bad. Oh, wait they don’t have that. See here http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/305599

Yes, these two Chinese children are riding a train and are puffing away like mini dragons. But God forbid if they happen to catch a glimpse of Back to the Future. That would totally blow their minds.  I am a smoker and have made several attempts to quit and it’s pretty difficult. But I simply couldn’t imagine trying to quit at, say, eight years old.

I’m not judging the Chinese people. I am merely pointing out how pretty crazy it is to try and control the imaginations of their people. Seriously, they not only control the State, but one’s State of mind too. That’s amazing.

It’s kind of horrifying too. I understand things are pretty miserable there for most of the Chinese population. But it was TV shows like Star Trek that helped inspire millions of young people the world over to look up at the stars and wonder what was really possible and then go out into the world and try to make it a reality. Imagination begets invention.

I know America isn’t perfect by a long shot and we’re not really the best moral judge of another culture, but at least we don’t forbid dreams and we try to keep our populace somewhat healthy. China man, you used to be cool. Let your people at least watch some good TV, although I’m not sure they’d be able to see the screen through all the smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment