Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Miss my old chair

Every time I sit down at my new desk at work I am reminded of a scene from Star Trek IV. (The Enterprise had been rebuilt after being destroyed in Star Trek III: the Search for Spock) Captain Kirk sat down in the new captain’s chair and wiggled around a bit and tried to get comfortable. Spock looked at him and asked what was wrong. Kirk looked back at him glumly and said, “I miss my old chair”.  

The chair in my new cube isn’t all that comfortable and I miss my old chair. Plus there seems to be something screwy with the seat height because it’ll just dip on me as I lean back a bit. The arm rests appear to be a bit short as well. My old chair was well worn in and like Goldilocks said, juuuust right. It’s too bad they couldn’t send it to me.

In other news, I just found out that today is quite an interesting day in history. On May 11, 1969 U.S. Paratroopers were involved in the Battle for Ap Bia Mountain in Vietnam or as we would later know it, “Hamburger Hill”. In a little more recent history and for those of us that like to play chess, on May 11, 1997 the computer Deep Blue defeated the Russian Chess Master, Gary Kasparov. Although, Gary actually conceded defeat after 19 moves in the sixth game of the tournament.  It marked the first time a machine had beaten a man in tournament play.

It’s also a bit of a sad anniversary as today in 1981 marks the death of Bob Marley. He collapsed while jogging in Central Park and later was diagnosed with cancer. Eight months later he was gone at the age of 36. Ire Ire, mon.

I wonder if today will eventually be noteworthy as the day Michael complained about missing his old chair. I doubt it will be. For some strange reason I just don’t think that has any far reaching historical significance. Although, one can never tell; they say a butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world could have far reaching effects.  So who knows, maybe my uncomfortable ass might affect the economy in Guam.

                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~

HEADLINE: GUAM ECONOMY COLLAPSES, MILLIONS FEARED DEAD

GUAM – Tragedy struck the small island of Guam today as massive ass related economic disasters rocked the stock exchange. Many people were seen throwing themselves off cliffs and buildings, screaming about the dreaded cursed ass. Details are still unclear at the time this report was filed.

No comments:

Post a Comment