Thursday, May 5, 2011

What comes with a Chupacabra? Cheese?

I know how all of you love a quick history lesson early in the morning so here were go! Today is Cinco De Mayo, or quite literally the 5th of May. The holiday celebrates Mexico’s victory in the 1862 Battle of Puebla against the French. That’s right, the French. It was during the Franco-Mexican War which lasted from 1861-1867; longer than America’s Civil War.  Interestingly enough, it also marked the last time a European military force invaded the Americas.  According to History Channel.com, the holiday is more widely celebrated in the United States than in Mexico. Chicago has the distinction of hosting one of the third largest Cinco De Mayo celebrations in the U.S. behind Los Angeles and Houston.

Cinco De Mayo is not the celebration of Mexican Independence which occurred 50 years later. So just get that out of your head right now.  So I do believe I’ll attempt to celebrate this most non-American of holiday’s with a cool Cerveza and Mexican food. Of course the wonderful thing about being an American is that we can celebrate the holidays of other cultures. I think it’s hilarious how many Mexicans are Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.

Okay, that’s today’s lesson in world history.

In other news, several of my friends are traveling to Ireland this week. I think that’s pretty cool and I hope to go there one day. It’s pretty unfortunate that I’m one of the only members of my family that has not been to Ireland.   I’m not that big of a traveler though. I tend to get quite frustrated with travel. I suppose I’d be okay if I didn’t have to pack or carry a suitcase. Or be at the mercy of pilots and planes and ticket agents and flight attendants. There’s a lot of control we have to give up in order to travel. Me, I’d rather drive the bus than have to ride it.  I’ve been to Mexico though. Maybe I’m Mexican.

 Mexico has what they call Napoleonic Law, which loosely explained means you are guilty until proven innocent. So even though they did defeat the French there were some clear European traditions the Mexican’s weren’t fully able to purge. As I try and think of other Mexican traditions the dreaded Chupacabra comes to mind. It’s a vampire like beast that sucks the blood from goats and other livestock during the dead of night. It’s allegedly a pretty nasty beastie. But much like Bigfoot and the New Jersey Devil, no one can really prove its existence.  I think The X-Files did an episode about it.

I’d also like to thank Mexico for its food. I love Mexican food. Being Irish, I didn’t know food had any actual flavor until I was in my 20’s. Or that food is good. I thought food was merely a means to an end, but when I started having authentic Mexican food I was in Cielo.

Please enjoy this Cinco De Mayo responsibly. I’ve seen other holidays in the past that got a little out of control and there was a lot of trouble. So tomar las cosas con calma. (Take it easy).  As an aside, has anyone else noticed the similarities between Mexican music and Irish music? It’s the accordions and guitars I think. Weird.  Also, as it’s pretty evident, I’m still on the Medicina Fría.  

No comments:

Post a Comment