Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Well, that’s just rude…

In this age of modern convenience the rules regarding what’s socially acceptable have changed. My biggest pet peeve in this fascinating time we live in is the un-responded to text message. To me, that is the ultimate in modern rudeness. I can completely understand if people are busy and I know it’s not always appropriate to reply right away if you are in a movie theater or church, but seriously, if you’re not busy or not doing the other things, how hard is it to respond?

It took me years to get over the un-responded to e-mail. I’m not actually sure if I am over it but I don’t seem to get as bothered by it. But I do think it is rude not to respond. It’s simply the socially responsible thing to do. We are social animals after all and communicating is fundamental to our existence. So when a message is sent to which there is no reply, it leaves the sender in a lurch, like yelling into a deep, dark cave only there’s no satisfying echo. It leaves the sender feeling empty and alone.

I am pretty good about responding to e-mails and text messages. I may respond a little late, but for the most part I will always respond. Even if it’s to say that I’m too busy at the moment to respond. I think that’s the responsible thing to do and the sender doesn’t feel like they’ve been left out like a picture puzzle piece in the rain.

I simply can’t stand it when I send a message, maybe more than one message, and get no response at all. That drives me crazy. To me it’s the epitome of condescension and disregard, as if to say, I’m too good to respond to this lowly troll’s text message. I just don’t understand why anyone would want to let another person feel like that. It’s quite cruel. (Unless it's some crazy stalker type that won't leave you alone, then it's socially acceptable not to respond)

Please remember that it’s a two way conversation taking place and there’s someone waiting on the other end to hear from you. It’s similar to having a face to face conversation wherein one of the individuals just sits there, staring at you while you wait for a response to something like, “Want to go to the park?” See how crazy creepy that would be?   So respond to your messages and be a part of civil, respectable society. And quit making me feel like a jerk for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment