Friday, July 8, 2011

Rocket man

Today marks the final launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis bringing an end to the 30 year old shuttle program. Its mission: delivery truck. Seriously, the final mission of the Space Shuttle program is to deliver supplies to the International Space Station. No Star Trek type mission to boldly go where no other space vehicle has gone before.

I’m sad to see the end though. The ability of mankind to let loose their earthy bonds is an incredible feat of engineering and intelligence and I whole heartedly respect it. The space shuttle was an incredible machine that, according to CNN, “carried 355 astronauts half a billion miles in space.” So basically it’s like saying, “Yeah, it kicked space’s ass”.

I remember when I was young and it seemed that every kid wanted to grow up to be an astronaut. Of course, after the various challenges and tragedies those inklings diminished some. But I still think it would be pretty amazing to see Earth from space or walk across the surface of the moon, or even explore space as no one has done before.

In 12 days Atlantis will return to Earth and be formally retired from service.  I know from what I’ve read that American astronauts will be hitching rides from the Russian Space Agency for future space trips, which I find really ironic since it was our competition with the Russian’s that really propelled the space program. I don’t know what the next space vehicle will be. There were several in the works but nothing seems to have come out as the front runner. I do find that a little depressing for America. We were leaders and innovators only to be stuffed back into Russian Capsules. I don’t remember losing the cold war or sticking my space suit thumb out, hitching a ride.

In any event, it’s Friday and writing this has taken too long already. I think I’ll get a burrito for lunch and keep my mind on earthly tasks. Aren't you glad you stopped by to read this? I am. Have a swell weekend you space cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment