Thursday, August 18, 2011

Compliment

I have a very hearty laugh. There’s no denying it. When I laugh, other people can’t help themselves and they start laughing too. Last night was one of those nights were I was engaged in some spirited conversation about the art world and I happened to make a few jokes here and there, as I’m prone to do. A young woman I was talking with started to laugh. I asked her what was so funny and she said she loved my laugh and it made her laugh; which made me laugh a little more. Her boyfriend whom I was also speaking with then said to his girlfriend, “Don’t worry, he’s deeper than his laugh”.

Well, that just stopped cold. “I’m deeper than my laugh?” I questioned. He said that there was more to me than my deep, hearty laugh. Then he added that I would probably write about it tomorrow, which I then said I would. So I am.

It really was one of the nicest compliments I’ve received in quite a long while and it really made me feel good. I know people like my laugh for the most part. I’m sure there are some that can’t stand it when I really get going. But I think overall, people are really laughing with me and enjoy the sound of my healthy Ha-Ha’s. But no one ever really related any deeper meaning to my laugh as it relates to my perception of the world. It was quite touching and I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

We continued our conversation about art and it was just good to have that conversation. I seem to go for very long periods without any discussions about art or its meaning or what it means to the observer. It always feels good to get the everyday grime and gunk of the world hosed off with meaningful conversation. It’s nice to hold it up in the light and remember that it does shine. Throw in a little laughter and it makes everything seem a little better, or at least a little more bearable.  

I’ll have to try and remember it as I sit here in my cube, wasting the hours I’d otherwise waste more effectively elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment