Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who is that guy in the mirror?

Gray hairs, I’ve got ‘em.  I noticed how much this morning as I was brushing my hair. I have very thick hair and I’m very happy to have it. I have a lot of it too. I’m in no danger of losing it any time soon. In fact, in 80 years, when they lay me to rest (snicker) I’ll probably still have a pretty full head of hair. It’ll be silvery gray though.

I’m not afraid of my gray hair. I know some men of my age start to freak out a bit when their hair starts turning gray, but I’m not scared. I’ve wanted gray hair most of my life. The coolest thing about being a guy is that gray hair makes us look distinguished instead of just old. Sorry ladies. Although, one of the most beautiful women I have ever known had long flowing gray hair, so don’t fret too much. She was hot. (I say “was” because I haven’t seen her in a long time)

But I am not worried about my grays. I think it adds the seriousness my baby face needs to convey my adult points. I do look pretty young. In fact, except for the added weight I seem to now carry directly under my chin, I look pretty much the same as I did as a teenager. I’m not bragging. It’s just a fact. I have a boyish face. I think my grays will level the playing field a little bit.

The funny thing about it all is that there are times when I look in the mirror and I’m amazed at the face staring back at me. It’s amazing how time can ravage one’s looks. I’m only mildly vain in this regard. I look at it more as a science experiment for the most part; the ravages of time on my own face.  It’s only after a long night of boozing it up do I find myself not recognizing the person staring back. I wonder who that guy is and what he did to that 20 year old that had his whole life ahead of him. Luckily I haven’t tried to punch that guy in the face.

Getting older, it’s not a bad thing. I mean, sure, there are down sides. My feet hurt and my knees hurt and I’ve discovered new pains in my back, my teeth are failing and my hands sometimes hurt. But that’s just life. It happens and there’s very little that can be done about it. I’m just glad to be here I guess. And I hope my Russian girlfriend likes it when she comes to visit me. (Okay, I just laughed out loud at myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment