Monday, October 10, 2011

The New World

Today is Columbus Day. Interesting fact, when Columbus sighted Cuba he believed it was mainland China; in December the expedition found Hispaniola, which he thought might be Japan. In 1492 most scholars knew the world wasn’t flat, they just didn’t know the Atlantic Ocean existed. They thought they could sail around the world to the Asian rim.

It’s highly likely the Vikings had discovered the Americas well before Columbus but since they didn’t stay or make any effort to tell many people about it history sort of forgot. All the credit for the discovery, and more infamously, the destruction of the New World goes to Columbus. Thanks for the horses and the small pox.

It is important to remember that history does repeat itself, however, not always in the way it was expected.  I think Columbus’ journey and discovery is a good metaphor for the journey’s we all encounter navigating the seas of our lives. There’s a great deal of adversity and mutiny seems to hover right at the surface, but we press on hoping for our great discoveries. 

I hope to get a story I’m working on published in a horror magazine. I’m hoping if I get published it will put me on the right path toward writing for a living. I just hope I don’t end up penniless and alone like Columbus. That would suck. I do hope it is a step in the right direction and does lead me to my New World, where I can unfurl my flag and claim this land in the name of Spain. I mean, claim it as my own. I just hope I recognize it right away and don’t mistake it for China.

No comments:

Post a Comment