Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cruelest Compassion


It’s the train ride,
the cubicle I sit in,
the lighting and climate
control.

I feel sick in here.
I feel weak in here.
I feel useless in here.
A cog in the machine
of repression, oppression.

Her laughter made it all
seem tolerable though.
Her smile was a place to
feel the sun on your
face and joy in your arms.
There was warmth in it.
It is somewhere I’d
like to be.

I want to sit at her
feet and forget about
my cubicle, my train,
my work, my emptiness
and marvel at her
silliness.

Her softness was the
compassion my concrete
cruelty needed. Even if
just for a little while.
When it’s gone, I miss it.
When it’s gone, I’m left
with a crowded train,
clumsy cubicle and
consternation.

Her smile, her eyes, are a
brief respite from the trenches
of monotony.  
The memory shortly
sustains me, but it’s an
addiction and I want more.
It’s compassionately cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment