Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Leg


The Presidential race has entered its true first leg. I know so because on Sunday I was watching The Walking Dead marathon on AMC when I saw the first national Presidential campaign commercial for President Obama. I sort of shuddered with the thought of how quickly we’ve arrived at the near completion of President Obama’s first term as President.

I’m a fan of politics, in the purest sense; I consider it a sport of the mind and admire the cerebral pugilism of it all. I like hearing all I can about the facts and watching two sides battle their ideals and visions for a more perfect union. I like intelligent debate, based on what each candidate can supply as a justification for their leadership.

I am a middle class liberal. I will fully admit that. I believe in the middle class of America and I don’t think one of the wealthiest men in the country, Governor Mitt Romney, has my best interests at heart. I don’t believe he will enact legislation that will benefit me in the long run. I am distrustful of his beliefs in morality, religion, and financial responsibility.

I can also say that President Obama has had a lot of difficulties enacting the change he previously promised, but he does more reflect the interests in my heart. I think President Obama has attempted to defend the Constitution of this nation as is required by his Presidential oath. But he has not been as forceful as certain situations needed him to be.

The candidates for President are both good men. I don’t believe either man is the Devil or is going to pull the country down into the 8th layer of hell. They both have good intentions based on their own understandings of how this country works. However, only one of them seems to care what happens to me and my possible progeny. The other seems to think of society like a Darwinist, which would make sense since only 900 of his religion’s followers get to go to heaven.  

Social reform is always a big issue for me in these elections. I want to see the smart get smarter, not the rich get richer. I want a leader who will encourage Congress (where real power lies in this Republic) to vote for legislation that will indeed benefit the actual people and avoid any cronyism or backwards thinking.

I want to insure that my current imaginary children have a better chance at success in this country thanks to affordable education, accessible healthcare and feel safe on the world scene. So that’s the way I’ll be voting. It’s no longer about me and my needs, but what will be good for the future in 20 or 30 years.

I want a leader who is interested in the people of this country and is interested in seeing them succeed much like a parent is proud of a child. Sometimes that parent has to put the child in a corner, and tell them that what they did was wrong, but then hug them afterwards and explain how to learn from their mistake. I will vote for the leader I feel is most able to teach me to fly and then shove me off a ledge and smile as I spread my wings and soar into the sky.

I also don’t want any more Presidential commercials during The Walking Dead, because that just makes me think Zombies are headed to the polls. And I fear in some States that might be true.  Although wouldn’t a great commercial in that time slot be something like,

“President Obama prevented the Zombie Apocalypse. Vote Obama”.  

Or even,

“President Obama wants to give you braiiiins”.

No comments:

Post a Comment