Monday, September 10, 2012

Faster than Ever


Two o’clock in the morning
was dominated by the
rhythmic thudding of a neighbors
bed banging against some deeply
shared apartment wall.

I’m not sure if it was sex
or some kid rhythmically pounding
against the walls
to keep the doldrums of sleeplessness
at bay. It sure kept my sleep at
bay.

If it was sex, then that couple
should be named
Mr. & Mrs. Metronome. Either way,
it kept me awake for far too
long.

When I finally slept, it was fitful
and seemed dreamless. When I woke
I found mystery scratches and strange pains,
a twinge in the neck and an
out of breath feeling.

I realized it was Monday morning
and I felt a twist in my bowels. I felt
the stress of the day already mounting
itself firmly on my shoulders.

I looked in the bathroom mirror and
saw how worn out my face looked,
how many gray hairs were jutting out
of my head. They’re unruly and have a
path all of their own.

I took a breath and tried to steady
my will. I looked at the clock and
20 minutes had vanished in an instant
and I had nothing to show for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment