Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Trying


“Life”, he said, “is about choices.”
I nodded and said I agree.
“I’ve made some poor choices”, he said.
I didn’t motion or make any
sign of agreement.
“I left my wife, my son, my job
for nothing. Nothing”, he said.
I tried to edge away when I realized
how much this man smelled like
piss.

“I wanted it all. Women, money,
Good drugs, threeways, guns, power.
All of it”, he said.
I looked around the train car for
another empty seat. None. I was trapped.

“I used the same condom for three
weeks”, he said as if it were some
sort of a punch line to a joke I’ve
never heard.  He laughed and laughed.

His laughter sounded like it was
cancerous. And his rotting teeth were
the cause.  I tried to look at the news
paper, but he kept at it.

“I had a BMW’, he said, “Drove it
into the river”. He adjusted himself
very casually and I wished the train seat
was ten times larger.

“At least I tried it all. Yes sir, I tried”, he said.
He excused himself and got up from
his seat. “Yup, tried it all”, he said again.
I thought he winked at me.

The train came to the next stop and
he exited, taking the piss smell with him
and I wondered what I would have to try
to wind up as seasoned as him.

No comments:

Post a Comment