Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Things I’m Thankful For


With Thanksgiving set for tomorrow I decided I should try and describe the things I am thankful for. First and foremost I am thankful for an understanding employer who has wished me nothing but the best regarding my recent dental difficulties. I was terribly nervous they would come down on me for taking so much time off just a little over 30 days within their employ. They have been really great about it and I appreciate it.

Secondly, I am thankful for a great dentist who fit me in quickly and took care of me and will continue to take care of me. I know these two things seem a bit odd to be number one and two on my thankful list but considering the incredible pain and discomfort I have been in the last few days my appreciation for them runs quite deep.

Thirdly I am thankful for my mother and sister. They both expressed the appropriate amount of familial care. I know they would have done anything for me if I had asked and I love them for it. I truly appreciate them. I’m nearly 36 years old and there’s still something quite comforting about a mother’s voice while one is in pain.

I’m of course thankful for my friends who reached out to me and offered me encouragement and wishes of well being while I’ve been dealing with this discomfort. It’s really very nice of them. None of their well wishes included a back rub or some heavy cuddling, but that’s not what friendship is all about.
Damn it.
(Clearly, only women friends reached out to me personally).
Thanks ladies. You’re the best.

I am also thankful for this gift of writing. It’s the thing I know best and love most and I consider it an honor to write these pieces on a near daily basis. Although, I’m often quite surprised by which pieces do get a reaction and which don’t. Either way, I am happy to write and very thankful I have the time and ability. Or at least what I consider to be the ability.

I’m thankful for catharsis. This recent incident with my rotting, disgusting teeth has given me a great deal of pause and time to think about the way I take care of myself. I realized that I drink too much Coca-Cola and that isn’t healthy. I also realized that too much whiskey is dangerous for your health, as is the heroic amounts of beer I tend to drink. Thinking that drinking a 12 pack on a Friday and Saturday night is somehow acceptable behavior and would have no ill effects to my overall health is completely absurd. There is always a cost and this time it was just my teeth. My consumption will have to be tempered considerably.

I’m thankful for this tooth incident oddly enough. It’s given me the courage and determination to try and stop smoking for good this time. I do enjoy smoking a lot and it’ll be tough to stop but for the sake of my continued health I just think it’s time. It’s the birthday present I’ll give myself. I’ll just have to find new excuses to remove myself from boring and ridiculous conversations or situations.

So it seems I’m thankful for quite a bit this Thanksgiving. I hope that you have the opportunity to figure out what you’re thankful for without the excruciating pain of a giant abscess on your upper gum and the discovery of a dead tooth. I wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving. 

For my overseas readers (if any) I'm sure your familiar with the American Thanksgiving tradition. But if you'd like to know more please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving 

No comments:

Post a Comment