Monday, February 4, 2013

When I Tumble

I don't usually fall down.
In fact, it's probably been four
years since the last time I slipped
and fell on the icy sidewalks
of wintery Chicago.

I also can usually stay on
my feet after a long night
of drinking. I don't wobbble
or waver or find gravity to
be an issue.

I don't have trouble staying
on my feet through the
crowded hustle and
bustle of the crowds
where feet are often
stepped on or ankles
kicking in the mad rush
to get off the train.

I don't fall going up the
three flights of stairs
to my apartment.
I don't fall reaching
for the soap in the
shower.

I have a pretty good
ability to stay
on my feet.

When I do fall however,
it's usually my heart that
does it. It falls quite
easily and often.
Sometimes I think it's
constantly in a state
of falling.

It takes very little for
my heart to fall, in lust,
in sadness and love.
Just a nudge in either
direction and tumbling
it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment