Friday, May 3, 2013

The Right Song

The thing I envy about
the best movies is
how the right song
always is played
at the right moment.

Even the travesty that
is Roadhouse, has the
right songs in the
right places.

I often want the right
music to play at the
right moment.
To punctuate the moment
I'm asking her to dance,
to laugh,
to smile,
to cry.

I want it in the background,
just in the right moment,
when I look in her eyes
and she smiles at me
and I smile back in
mutual admiration.

The song never seems to
be right in reality. It's usually
some terrible pop sensation
song filling the silence
with an annoying beat and
vapid lyrics.

It's never Bobby Darin in
the right spot.
Or Frank encouraging
the dancing.
It's some crazy drinker
talking over the best parts
of a great classic hit as you
try to make the most
of the situation.

I just hope she still
wants to dance with me,
even if the song's terrible.
Damn movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment