Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Gnab, Gnab


            I think we’re a little backwards on gun control. I just read yet another story about seven people shot at a Laundromat here in Chicago. Frankly, I’m sick of it. I’m tired of reading or seeing news stories about gun violence in Chicago and the nation in general. I’ve just had it.

            I saw one of those delightful memes on-line posing a very simple question: One failed shoe bomber and now every single American has to take their shoes off at the airport before boarding a plane, whereas 37 people can die from gun violence in a single day yet there’s absolutely nothing that can be done about it? That’s completely backwards.

            I’m not a fan of guns, that’s just my personal position. I don’t want to take your guns away. I don’t really care about your lawful use of your own firearms. That’s not my concern. I’m sure that if you read my blog, you’re also a very responsible gun owner and keep them under lock and key and only use them for either hunting or home defense. Running down the street, guns blazing isn’t your style. In fact, you might be just as upset as I am at the senseless use of firearms.

            I am just tired. Tired of all the children cut down on their front porch because some confused and angry, socially inept jackass doesn’t know how to aim. Maybe we should provide free firearm training to gang members so they can at least be better shots. The phrase “Innocent Bystander Killed” is wearing thin.

            There’s just no reasonable excuse for the excessive casual murdering that is going on in my city, my country. I don’t know when the sanctity of human life became so meaningless to so many. Murder is like breathing for some people. I’m not sure I can actually call them people without vomiting a little in my mouth.

When I see stories about violence in Europe, Asia, Africa I no longer think, “Oh my, how terrible for them,” I think, “Oh well, just like here”. We stand still, we do nothing. Politicians seem careless about the rampant murder in their American streets, leaving broken families to try and put back together the pieces of their shattered lives. I don’t have the strength of ignorance to blindly imagine our society will just shape up and put guns back in the closet where they belong.

It’s all backwards. I don’t care about a prisoner of war, captured five years ago CNN. I just don’t care about any pundit’s opinion about it. The focus needs to be on the violence at home. I’ve written about this before. I was tired of it then. I’m tired of it now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment