Wednesday, December 3, 2014

They Go Together

             “I think I want to see other kinds,” said Peanut Butter.
            “What,” asked Grape Jelly.
            “I mean, it’s just a big world out there and I just feel like we’re not who we used to be,” said Peanut Butter.
      
            Jelly put down his coffee mug and stared at Peanut Butter. She looked away from him and down at the bread on her plate.

            “But, we go together. I mean, we just… go together,” said Jelly.
            “I know how you must feel but I just wonder if there’s more out there than just grape,” said Peanut Butter.
            “More than just grape?”

            Peanut Butter stood from the kitchen table in the breakfast nook they had decorated together. She went to the sink and put her plate down. She looked out the window.

            “I asked you what more is out there than grape,” asked Jelly.
            “I didn’t want this to be so hard,” said Peanut Butter.
            “Just tell me,” said Grape.

            Peanut Butter turned and faced Jelly. She wiped her soft hair offer her forehead.

            “I mean, we’ve been the same for so long. We’ve just done it over and over again without any variation. I don’t think I can do it anymore,” said Peanut Butter.
            “What? I mean, do you want to try Rye maybe,” asked Jelly.
            “I don’t know. Maybe Rye would be a nice change, but it’s probably more than that,” said Peanut Butter.
       
            Jelly rubbed his chin and pushed his hair back.

            “Where is this coming from,” asked Jelly.
            “It’s just time,” said Peanut Butter.
            “I can change. I can be different for you,” said Jelly.

            Jelly moved toward Peanut Butter but she pulled away.

            “You can’t change. That’s just it. You’ll always just be who you are and can’t be any different,” said Peanut Butter.
            “I want to be different for you. You’re everything to me. Without you I’m just nothing,” said Jelly.
            “You need to get out there too. Try new things,” said Peanut Butter.
            “I don’t want to try new things. It’s us; it’s Peanut Butter and Jelly. That’s how it is,” said Jelly.
            “It doesn’t have to be. What if I want to try Strawberry or orange or even apricot,” asked Peanut Butter.
            “You’ve been talking to Strawberry,” asked Jelly.
            “No. No I haven’t been talking to anyone. I’ve just been wondering what it might be like to be with someone else,” said Peanut Butter.

            Her eyes were dampening with tears and she looked away from Jelly. Jelly sat back down at the table and felt his heart beating heavy in his chest. He felt at a loss for words. He felt that the thing he’d trusted and believed in for so long was being pulled away from him.

            “What do you want me to do,” asked Jelly.    
            “I don’t know. I just don’t know. But I am leaving by lunchtime. It’s just what I have to do. I’ve tried so hard with us, but it’s always going to be the same,” said Peanut Butter.
            “I don’t want you to go,” said Jelly.
            “It’s hard for me too. Harder than you can imagine. But I really think it’s what’s best for the both of us,” said Peanut Butter.

            Peanut Butter wiped her eyes and wiped her hands on her pajama bottoms. She looked at Jelly, sadly sitting at the table. Defeated. He was slumped forward. Fighting the urge to start bawling.

            “I’m sorry it has to be this way,” said Peanut Butter.

            Jelly looked blankly at the kitchen table. He couldn’t find anything to say. He was just lost in memories and smiles and all the wonderful times they’d had together. He felt an anger bubbling inside but he swallowed it, knowing to get angry with Peanut Butter would only make things worse. He looked up from the table toward Peanut Butter.

            “I understand that you need this. I’ll be here when you’re ready,” said Jelly.

            Peanut Butter sobbed slightly under a heavy sigh. She turned to the doorway and walked out of the kitchen. Jelly picked up his coffee mug and took a cold, bitter sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment