Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Last Dance...


It’s sort of odd to
hear a Disco song
of a bygone era
rattling through ones
mind on a milestone day
that is also about to become
part of a bygone era.

Disco and my Thirties
are over.  Disco has been
dead for a long time,
and it died in my lifetime,
which is interesting in and
of itself. I lived with Disco?
There’s still a few songs I guiltily enjoy.

My Thirties however, I’m glad
they’re ending.  They have been
exceedingly rambunctious, annoying,
terrifying, depressing, joyful, hilarious,
embarrassing, disappointing, mournful,
melancholy, morose, anxiety ridden, and
at times, even a little sexy.

Just like Disco.
With a lot less drugs.
Or Gold Lame pants.

My Thirties, at times, did have
a pretty good beat, something you
could dance to, but I think it was more
about learning the dance steps than it
was about the dancing.
And, I like dancing.
But I like learning more.

So Donna Summer, you go ahead and
play your song in my head, I can take it:
“So let's dance, the last dance
Let's dance, the last dance
Let's dance this last dance tonight…”
Groovy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment