Thursday, July 20, 2017

Never Trust A White Man In A Hawaiian Shirt

“Never trust a white man
in a Hawaiian shirt,” I said
to the nineteen year old Rapper
I happened to come across
during a Saturday night
adventure.

“Huh,” he said to me.
I had wandered past
a bar with beats and
deep bass emanating from
inside. There was a crowd
outside, talking and laughing.

I stopped to light a smoke
and started a conversation with
a guy who happened to be the promoter of the event.
“This young rapper inside, he’s my new client,”
said the promoter,  “He’s good.”
The promoter told me to check it out.

I went into the bar, sticking out, in
a bright ocean blue Hawaiian shirt,
and an Irish face highlighted red with
drink.  I settled in by the pool table to
listen to the young rapper and his
throaty back-up.

I bobbed my head in time,
listened as best I could through the
thundering rhythm. I couldn’t quite
make out the words, but the young rapper
had talent, it seemed. The song ended.
I clapped with all the other patrons.

I thought I should get a drink at the bar,
so I could, you know, blend in. I couldn’t
make it though because right at that moment,
a young woman with her head buried in a smart
phone crossed my path, she was followed by
Lil Wayne, and then a huge body guard.

“Was that Lil Wayne,” I asked the
guy behind me. He nodded that it was.
Since the bartender was unreachable I decided
I’d go back outside, see that promoter,
and see if that was indeed Lil Wayne.
Because, hey, Lil Wayne.

I went outside and the promoter and
Lil Wayne were talking briefly and before
you could say “Cellphone Camera”, Lil Wayne
was in a luxury car and they vanished into the
night.  I looked at the promoter and I nodded.
He nodded back.

“I should have got a picture,” I said.
I’m not sure what the promoter thought
I said but he goes, “Hang on,” and went into
the bar and came outside with the young rapper.
“This guy wanted to meet you,” said the promoter
to the young rapper.

“Who are you,” said the young rapper.
“Me? I’m just a white guy in a Hawaiian shirt,” I said.
The promoter seemed to laugh.
“But I really enjoyed what you got going on in there
and I wish you nothing but success,” I said.
He looked at my curiously, eyebrows furrowed.

I laughed, explained how he should
never trust a white man in a Hawaiian shirt,
shook their hands and continued on my
Saturday night journey, feeling nostalgic
for the adventures, misadventures,
of my younger days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment