Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Any Relief

Is there any comfort in
words when there’s
blood in the water
and the sharks are circling?

“Hang on,” we say.
“We’re praying for you,” we post.
“Our hopes are with you,” we shout.
“We’re here for you,” we wish.

Can any words besides,
“You’re fully insured and will
be adequately compensated,”
really do anything to help.

Waves of sympathy,
ocean currents of empathy,
are fine and good, but no match
for actual ocean waves.

Where is the power of words
in the abyss of horror?
Are words the afterthought of
the aftershock?

It’s a uselessness I feel to use
my own words to be anything
other than a shill for the vague
emotional notions of my heart.  

I want the words to carry the burdens
away, but maybe I’m not that smart,
or maybe I’m not that good of a poet,
or maybe, just shutting up is the right thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment