Friday, August 18, 2017

Seeking Wisdom, Again


The Great Guru of Guru’s,
the wisest of the wise,
the most knowledgeable of
knowable knowledge,
sat atop a snow swept
mountain. The cold winds
blowing through his long
scraggly white beard and
wisps of white hair remaining
on his head.

His eyes were closed as he
breathed in deeply and silently,
he exhaled gently and slowly,
over and over, he barely seemed
to move, as if he was part of the
mountain itself.  He was one with it,
 the snow, the winds,
rains, rumbling of the mountain
when it shuddered. He was the
image of peacefulness and harmony.

The Great Guru, arms and legs folded,
lotus position, remained motionless as
a great grunting rose from the temple
steps leading up to the Guru.  The grunting,
followed by wheezing, coughing and cursing,
soon revealed a raggedy man. Dirty, bruised,
battered and unshaved.  He fell at the feet of
the Guru, after climbing the 1,000 steps to
the mountain temple the Guru occupied in his
corporal form.

“You’re holiness, great Guru of the mountain,
I’ve come again for your guidance,” said the dirty,
disheveled man.
The Guru didn’t move from his breathing position.
“I gave up all my worldly goods; I tried to treat each man
as my brother, each woman my sister, I’ve loved
without hesitation, I’ve fed the poor, tended to the
sick, kissed my enemies and I meditate each day;
I’ve given up meat, I’ve been beaten up, I’ve
made each sunrise matter,” said the man.

The Guru still with his eyes closed,
breathing gently, remained silent.
“Yet, I’m not happy. I’ve not attained
any enlightenment, I’m just as miserable
and scared as I was the last time I was here,
when I first came to you for advice,” said the man.
He began to sob into his hands and wail.
He cried and moaned, hugged his shoulders
and rocked back and forth, snot running
from his nose.

The Guru opened his eyes and looked at the man.
The Guru’s face was calm and gentle.
“Did you vote,” asked the Guru.
“Huh,” said the man, wiping the tears from his cheeks.
“Did you vote in the Presidential election,” asked
the Guru.
“Well, no. I thought we were above such trivial things,”
said the man.
“Oh, well, there’s your problem,” said the Guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment