Thursday, August 24, 2017

Will They Call Me Mister


I’ve more gray hairs than
I used to, my chin whiskers
now fill in with snowy patches
of stubble. I ache in places
for no reason and am
usually exhausted by
9:00 pm.

I still don’t feel like a
grown-up though.
I’m not even sure what
a grown-up is.
I’ve no children,
I’ve no wife,
no mortgage, or grown-up things.

What makes a grown-up?
Is it knowing things that
younger people don’t?
Because I certainly do that,
but I’ve always done that.
Is it money? Success?
Vitamin pills every morning?

I get curmudgeonly and surly
and irritated by stupidity, is
that being grown-up?
I tell those damn kids to
get off my lawn, in my head,
because I don’t have a lawn,
for lousy kids to play on.

Is it political awareness that makes
a grown-up? Clearly not, what with all
the childishness going on now.
Is it being able simply to do and say
whatever I want within the context of
the law? Doesn’t really feel like that’s
what being a grown-up is.

Grown-ups sleep on their couches,
and tinker and meddle,
Grown-ups worry about money, gas,
car payments, insurance, dental care,
sexual failure, liver disease, being wanted
for who they are and not what they should be,
and having to clean up after themselves.

If that’s all it is to be a grown-up,
then I’m not sure I want to be a part
of it all. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing
and maybe one day, that kid in the mirror,
with wrinkles and gray hair will finally look
familiar, and he’ll wink at me.
And we’ll laugh through our senility.


No comments:

Post a Comment