Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Word or Two on Cats


I’ve never felt very much
when a cat looks at me in
the eyes.  I can usually get
something from a dog,
but a cat’s glare feels
like a passive judgment.

Mammals in general are
not big on eye contact.
Chimpanzees for instance,
hardly ever look at human
beings in the eye with recognition.
Whereas dogs and cats will
stare right at you. Know you.

There’s an authenticity in
the eyes of cats and dogs,
and some would say more so
in the eyes of cats. 
There’s something going on
in their brains that seems
more methodical  than dogs.

Cats have a mythical curiosity
to them, revered in ancient cultures,
reviled in others. Harbingers of
doom or joy, bringers of luck or
conspirators with the Devil.
It’s difficult to name their
historical appeal.

We, as humans, only know that
in their long, piercing gazes, that
they see something in us, something
we may not see about ourselves.
They provide the means to ask the question,
“What am I?” and “Why am I?”

They, cats and dogs, remind us of our
truest selves and that’s why they
matter. That’s why we grieve when
they are gone. The small piece of
our soul, released into the
nethers, joining the great
choir of mystery beyond
the pale.  

Maybe it’s why I try not to
feel anything when a cat or
dog looks at me in the eyes.
They make me worry about
my own impermanence and
 my deep, hidden desires to be as
authentic, present and mindful
as humanly possible.

They probably know me better
than I know myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment