Friday, March 9, 2018

Deli Mill



I’m forcing myself to come
up with something to write today.
It seems like I haven’t written
a word of any substance in a
very long while and I find it
distressing.

My creative thoughts are jumbled
in thought wheel limbo, churning
like an old mill water wheel in some lazy
river. There’s a flowery verse here,
crashing with a drunken verse there,
mixing with some mundane verse.

It’s all flowing downstream in a
mixed spiral of oil slicks, rainbows
and, I don’t know, baby food?
See, that’s a super mixed up
phrase that makes very little
sense.

It seems I have a lot on my mind,
sex, love, Friday, drinking, work,
joys, duty, depression, being an
individual amongst a symphony of
individuals. There’s a lot going on
in the old brain box.

Long.
Pause.

I’d describe it like waiting in line
at a deli counter, trying to decide
how many pounds of meat you’re going
to buy. Do you get the 2 pounds of
peppered turkey or get the roast beef?
Will you have your mind made up by the time
the burly butcher finally calls your number?

The thoughts are like all those meats,
sides, salads, cuts, behind glass, and you’re
licking your lips, looking for the most delectable
to sate your burning hunger, but nothing,
none of those meats are really doing it
for you. That’s how it is trying to pick the
right words to express, whatever it is that
is going on in my head.

So it’s like an old mill wheel in a river
and a deli counter.
And this is where it’s taken us,
to the end, of whatever this is,
a destination, likely unworthy of
the journey.

So hold onto your life preserver
made of bologna,
in the choppy river of mixed metaphors,
and incomplete…

No comments:

Post a Comment