Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Know What I Mean



Our mortality pushes
us to find meaning.
We want meaning
in the time we have.

A search for meaning in
a vacuum is a fruitless
endeavor. We suffocate
in the absence of substance.

Gold has no value other than
the meaning we attribute to
its glitter yet we know its shimmer
is fleeting.

I seek assurances that having a
meaning is important to my time here,
and my time here gives meaning to
others.

I crave meaning. Yet, I know
a single leaf falling from a tree has no great,
magical implication. Its purpose has
ended and sloughed off.

And yet we cannot equate our
mortality to that of a tree.
Since that fallen leaf might have been
one of millions over the tree’s lifetime.

It’s only one leaf for me, so should that
falling leaf, swirling on the breeze, hold
some special import? Should it have meaning?
While meaning nothing to the tree?

Meaning is measured by our existence,
our short, brief and hilariously tiny lifespans,
of which we have so little control. And so
much happens to us in that speck of time.

A kiss on the lips from a lover today means nothing
in the ten thousand years of a mountains life,
but it means everything.
Everything.   

It means everything
in our search
for
meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment