Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Prophecy in Her Eyes



I search for prophecy in her eyes,
some truth about us to be revealed,
a signal that this is the one true thing
in the world that matters, yet all I see
is sickness, vapid lunacy and conflict.

Frosty eyes glittering in a snowy morning,
a paled blue, icy and solid, with no
truth to share other than how wrong I
was to put such optimistic faith in such
unrequited scripture.

I search for prophecy in her eyes, I want
her truth, her loving, her incorruptible passion
laid out open for me to clearly see, those
eyes, watery with longing for the same truth
that I seek.

Prophetic eyes telling me the story of
our loving life, safe in each other’s belief
of each other, trusting, sharing, growing,
into magnificence, without malice or
mistrust.

It’s nightmares I see, prophecies of doom,
shattered hearts and broken dreams, leaving
both in tatters, like storm swept sails on a
ghost ship careening through tormented seas
headed for the rocky shore consigned to the deep.

The prophecy, still unfulfilled, I sit each night,
contemplating the strange disparities between
myself and the loves lost, smothered or vanished,
misspent or otherwise squandered in this constant
and baffling search for the truth in her. Of Her.

Is there any prophecy at all I wonder? Is there any
truth to be had? Is there any destiny visible in the eyes
of a lover, a shared heart, or is it all romanticized nonsense
due to an overactive imagination and Hollywood brainwashing?
Is there a chance that all my beliefs are merely childish fascinations?

Yet I still hope for her eyes, staring into mine,
contemplating the contentment of a mutually shared truth,
and the completion of the ancient rites
of prophecy.  Requited and whole,
reflected in each other’s hopeful souls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment