Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Do Not Be Afraid



                Auqui sat up from his woven mat. He was startled by the noises of the night outside. He heard something and it woke him from his sleep. He looked across the hut toward his sleeping father and cried out to him. His father, Sinchi, stirred as he heard the quiet sobbing of his son. He sat up from his mat and animal skin bed.

                “What is it Auqui? Why are you crying,” asked Sinchi of his young son.
                “I am scared father,” said Auqui, “there are noises outside and I am afraid.”

                Sinchi quietly rose from his mat. He did not wish to wake Auqui’s mother or the rest of the children. Their sleeping, rhythmic breathing filling the small hut. Sinchi moved toward his son, stepping over each child and family member in the dark. He sat next to Auqui on his small sleeping mat. Auqui grabbed his father’s strong arm and held it close. Sinchi felt the light tears of his young son on his arm. He pulled Auqui closer to him.

                “Tell me son, what has you so afraid,” whispered Sinchi.
                “I don’t know. There were noises. Noises in the dark,” said Auqui.
                “There are always noises my son. Noises are normal. This world is a noisy place,” said Sinchi.
                “I’m afraid they will come and get me and take me away,” said Auqui.
                “Who? Who will come and take you away,” asked Sinchi.
               
                Auqui did not know how to answer. He only pulled his father closer to him. Sinchi put his arm around his son’s shoulders and hugged him.

                “No one is coming to take you away my son. There is nothing to be afraid of,” assured Sinchi.
                “How do you know,” asked Auqui.

                Sinchi smiled slightly. He looked out into the dark of the hut. A single flickering ember still twisting in the evening fire.

                “I was once a small boy too. A small boy who was also afraid of the dark and the things I could not see. Your grandfather, he told me that I should not be afraid because there is nothing in the dark but what we put there. The dark would always come, every time the sun set, whether I was afraid or not, so why should I be afraid,” said Sinchi.
                “I don’t understand,” said Auqui.

                Sinchi thought about his own terrifying nights, lost in the thick jungle, hunting, and hearing the Earth move as if it was alive and coming to get him. He tried to remember what his father taught him, the words he used to help him not be afraid. He knew that indeed there were things in the dark that were dangerous but he also knew that being afraid of them was not helpful.

                “My son, you are brave and strong. I know this about you. You possess the blood of very many brave and strong ancestors within you. They will give you strength to conquer your fears in time. I will not lie to you my son, there can be things in the dark that are dangerous, but you do not have to fear them. It is good to know that your senses are strong, but do not let this fear overtake you my son. Because in the dark, while there are terrors, none are as scary as your imagination,” said Sinchi.

                Auqui held his father’s arm tighter and buried his head into Sinchi’s chest.

                “Auqui, let us listen to these sounds together,” said Sinchi. Auqui nodded against his father’s chest.

                “There…do you hear the frogs by the river? They are singing love songs to the moon. They are not afraid to sing. We know it is just the frogs praying and not something to fear. The rustling overhead is mother owl, she is hunting to find food for her family, she is a night hunter and she is not afraid. the chirping of the crickets as they search for love, they do not fear the night. The jungle is full of life my son. Life is all around us doing what it must do, life cannot be afraid of the dark,” said Sinchi.

                “I hear them father. They are not afraid,” asked Auqui.
                “No, my son. They are not afraid. They are not afraid, just as we should not be afraid, because we understand them. We took time to learn about the noises in the night so we are not afraid of them. Tonight my son you are learning that you must listen, even when afraid, so you can learn and grow and understand that the dark is only scary if you let it be. If you know what is out there, have heard their songs, you will understand and not be afraid,” said Sinchi.

                “I think I understand father,” said Auqui, “I should not be afraid of what I do not understand. I should learn what the noises are, hear them, and then I will not be afraid.”
                “That is right my son. It is okay to be afraid. It is normal. Yet remember not to let fear cloud your mind. It is far braver to listen to the night than to cower in the dark,” said Sinchi.

                Auqui hugged his father, “I can go back to sleep now.”
                Sinchi hugged his son, “I know. Sleep well and I will see you in the morning.”

                Sinchi laid Auqui down on his woven mat and brushed the hair off his forehead. Sinchi sat for a moment in the night, listening to the sounds around him. He smiled. He knew his son would no longer be afraid of what he could not see.

No comments:

Post a Comment