Friday, February 8, 2019

Blurt



Blurt.
That’s what I’m calling
today’s piece.
Blurt.

Because there’s so much
to say in a rapid ravenous
rapacious way, that the only
way to say it is to blurt it out.

I’ve been unable to write as
of late, due to life and it’s
annoying trappings and the words
inside have been building and
piling up against the sea walls.

The levy is breaking and the
flood is coming. The flood known
as: Blurt.
So here, we, go…

Yellow foxes with orange
hair slyly stealing hens from the
coop; smiling audaciously, and
without regret, diving head first in
deniability.

Delicate fingers, absently twisting her long
hair into a tight coil as she reads a
fashion magazine. She’s lovely and
we’re on an airplane and I can’t say anything
to her because, we’re on an airplane, and to
talk to a stranger about how lovely they are on
an airplane is taboo, and just not done.
It’s creepy in fact. And knowing it makes it
all the worse.

The conversations I overhear are so boring.
Doesn’t anyone have anything interesting to
talk about? “My dog did this,” “my brother bought that,”
“I’ve got a growth on my,” “there’s no money in wells,”
“a new hairbrush makes all the difference.”
What? What the hell are you all talking about?
Stop it. It’s causing me to have a word back-up.

A whole week worth or more,
of pent up words, all scrambling to
find a place on this page. Cluttered
and clamoring for release into some
ill-formed stanza with inconsistent
cadence.

Words blurting out in hundreds of voices,
begging for release, for their little
taste of joyful freedom smeared
like jam on toast all over this nice
white page.

All this blurting, essentially amounting
to nothing more than a sort of self
medicating release. A salve to soothe
the ache a word back-up can cause in
the gullet.

Blurt! Blurt! Blurt! These words,
all rushing to the tips of my fingers,
to ejaculate all over the page in a
gross orgasm of language, jumbled
into a meaningless squiggling mess.

And then apologizing after. Because,
I blurted too soon.
She doesn’t get to blurt. I don’t know
why she won’t blurt.  Probably because
my blurting is too selfish to allow additional
blurts.

I really did blurt all over this page.
Please excuse the mess. A flood after
such a massive backlog can really be
quite messy.

I’ll get a mop.
And a bucket.
You know the thing about buckets is…
Blurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment