Friday, February 15, 2019

Hep Cat Pariah




Squaresville man, that’s right,
the place between the head and
the heart, where fiery passions are
doused with reason and accountability.

“Oh no, man! That place is a
drag. A real bummer and not for
the truly hip at heart. I’m an artist
man,” you dig.

A coven of responsibility and
moderation, that’s Squaresville.
Where unbridled human passions
are tempered with self-doubt,
shame and the occasional regret.

“No, man, NO! We can’t be headed there.
We’ve got the skee-ball tourney and the
jam-a-lama jam at Rudy’s tonight. The people
will be fired up, they’ll be hip to us”, you scat.

Nope, we’re going to Squaresville.
Where there’s nothing but attention to
detail and microscopic self-examination
over the choices we’ve made in our lives and
the consequences therein.

“I’m not going man. You can go, but I’m
not going! I’m going to drink a bottle of red wine,
smoke some of this awesome home grown,
and roll my head on my neck to sweet tunes until
the sun comes up, man,” you protest.

I see the train now, next stop Squaresville.
Bologna sandwiches on white bread,
Hot dogs with no toppings, white cake,
beige coveralls and bowl haircuts for everyone.
Plus a deep exploration of our sexual shame.

“Serious man. I’m not getting on that train
with you. I’ve gots beats and bones inside me
begging and yearning to roam free like the wild
animal I am, man. An incandescent brightness
comes from me, daddy-o,” you beat.

Squaresville will make sure to shade
that light with responsible insecurity and
appropriate shame. You’ll feel bad soon enough
and that’s good. It’s good to get to Squaresville,
where everyone is judged by themselves most harshly.

“How do I get out of this line man? Is there,
like, a button to call someone or like, a rope
to duck under? Like a, like an adult to help me?
I don’t want to go to Squaresville man,” you drop.

All aboard to Squaresville,
no stops between the heart and the head,
Last call for Squareseville…

An empty train platform,
a cliched piece of paper flutters in
the empty space as the train pulls
from the station.


No comments:

Post a Comment