Monday, February 11, 2019

Memory Lane



The strange road of memory
twists through the landscape
of my mind this morning.
Switchbacks and sharp turns of
remembrances stinging my eyes
as I try to focus on the road ahead.

Memories like snowflakes falling
on the windshield; I bat them
away with a quick flip of the wipers,
but they continue to pile on the window
and It’s hard to see the pavement.

The memory roads intersecting with
the present, making me want to hit the
brakes, stop everything and get out
of the car. To walk in the cold along
the edge of the road, remembering.

Remembering that time when I wasn’t
sure what was reality, remembering that time
I was terrified, that time I wept, that time
I made a fool of myself, that time I was filled
with unjustified hate, that time I was broken hearted.

I don’t stop the car on the road.
I have to keep going.
The present is demanding and cannot afford
any standing on the roadway. The present
does not abide any traffic jams of memory.

The morning memories, a sad grimace across
my face as I pass the other cars on the road,
those other drivers, faces focused on their own roads
ahead; breaking and accelerating with each
twitch of thought.

My mind struggling to look forward, past the
curious sadness that patrols the edges of my
travel.  A memory State Trooper waiting with
a radar gun to pull me over and charge me with
wallowing in the past.

Just drive. Just drive faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment