Friday, March 8, 2019

International Women's Day



International Women’s Day,
I love International women.
So cultured and beyond the
hang-ups of Provincial and
Victorian social morality so
present in domestic women.

Hm? I’ve just been handed a note
and received a quick slap to the back
of the head. Ah! I see my blunder,
it’s not International Women’s Day,
but International Women’s Day.
My apologies.

All humor aside, the list of
inspiring women in my life is
literally too long. I cannot begin
to express my admiration and respect
for those women that have taught me,
instructed me and rescued me from
the depths of male-centric depravity.

I was raised fairly typically regarding
the pre-woman’s liberation social
standards. Sure, my mother is a strong
independent woman, but it did take her a
while to get there through her own empowering
journey. I was lucky enough to reap the benefits
of that discovery.

I was raised on the Hollywood stereotype
of “typical” female behavior and behaved
like a pretty chauvinistic jerk for a lot of my
very young adult life. My views were antiquated
and patently unfair for no other reason than
my own ignorance.

I was graced with women around me who
would not put up with that sort of crap.
Who led me down the path to awareness and
equality that I should have been taught all along.  
It is to those wonderful women that I owe a debt.
A debt I’m happy to pay.

Without those women.
Those International Women.
I would not be the man I am today.
I would not be emotionally open,
as open minded, as aware, or as
understanding of the feelings of others.

So, International Women,
I salute you.
I hug you (only if you’re comfortable with it
and I have your consent to do so).
And genuinely appreciate your struggles
and continued fight against adversity.


No comments:

Post a Comment