Thursday, March 21, 2019

My Cup



The watercolor dreams I had
told me that if I drink of the
cup, I’d find a sense of euphoria.
And yet, in the swirling color of
a sleeping mind, I still was skeptical
of any elixir making me happy.

It didn’t seem right at all, it was
too easy to slough off the trappings
of anxiety and pent up frustrations,
jumbled and juggling on a unicycle
made of butter across the hot frying
pan of my brain.

There was no dream way that a dream
drink was going to cure me of my pains,
my insecurities, my fears, or unrequited
desires. The dream version of myself, awash
in intensity and vim, was a doubter and
pushed the drink away.

The hands so forcefully encouraging me
to sip of the cup were aggressive in response
to my denial of their offering. They were
incensed to a degree and seemed to float
above me to avenge this slight from on
high.

I wasn’t scared though. I seemed to grasp
onto the threads of reality and pull myself
up from the churning violence of my own mind.
I didn’t look back at the shifting scenes of my
dreams. I could feel the pull towards the
real world.

I woke up on my left side. Head buried so
hard into my pillow that my left ear hurt.
I turned and looked at the digital clock on
the dresser and the red numbers on the clock face,
1:00 AM. The evil 1:00 AM assaulting me with
some surprise, “Oh, you’re up”, it seemed to mock.

I turned to my right side and closed my eyes again.
I don’t seem to have such crazy dreams when I sleep
on my right side. It’s far less exciting.
As I returned to sleep, I remembered,
the phrase, “My cup run-eth over.”  
I drifted to calmer dreamy shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment