Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Not As Easy As It Looks



How can I say,
what I want to say,
without really knowing,
what it is I want to say,
and be coherent and relatable
to those that matter?

The flowery language
I keep using is making me
nauseous. I don’t want to
write another poem slathered
in pretension and soaked in
profundity.

I’m not even sure that I want
it to matter, considering the
transitory nature of things,
the state of flux and change
so constant all the time; would
it matter?

A poem carved into a stone
will eventually fade with the
passage of time, even granite
will give up the etched words
to the stalking ravages of
progress.

The superfluous words,
crowding the edges of my brain,
want to fit and fill this page,
but they are meaningless and
trite, signifying absolutely
nothing.

The meaning I mean to
mean is without meaning.
I suppose I should have known
what I wanted to say before I got
this far along, before I ever even
got to the end.

Poetry is hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment