Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Bullied Thoughts



The stanza below is the only
portion of a poem I was working
on that I have kept.

“I am the grown-up version
of a bullied child.
I felt the barbs and brutality
of childhood and at times,
I still feel the sting, even
this far removed from
childhood. It is a sore spot,
a white-hot scar on adulthood.”

The rest of the poem, I hated.
It wasn’t right. It wasn’t saying
what needed to be said. I couldn’t
find the right sort of words to
really explain what that stanza meant.

Three long, overwrought, incarnations of the poem
went across this page and all of them
failed to clearly imbue the reader with
the right sense of the trap of being
bullied as a child can be.

I’m still not sure about it.
I still don’t think I can get it right.
All I know is that at times,
the inner bullied child still
whispers in my ear as I face
the challenges of being a grown up.

It whispers, “You can make it.”  
But I’m not sure.
I’m not sure which of us is braver.
The one that survived, or the one
still persevering.

Maybe I’ll keep this one.
Maybe it’s just right for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment