Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Lamentations



Perhaps I’m overloaded,
perhaps I’m tired of it,
perhaps the act of caring,
has all become a bit much.

Stunned into stoicism,
through the sheer multitude
of grief and inconceivable acts
performed daily and globally.

The meter broke,
the scale snapped,
the weights and measures
are rusting in the back.

A standard state of mourning,
that’s the simple fact,
black arm bands and half mast
tributes too often in sight.

Perhaps it’s a funk,
perhaps it’s a fugue,
perhaps it’s just how it is,
perhaps it’s always been.

Personal and public,
they both sing dirges
by choirs of the spent,
the worn and weary.

A threadbare soul,
worn thin through
wringing of hands and
furrowed brows.

Perhaps I’m just annoyed,
perhaps I’m just irritated,
perhaps I’m just exhausted,
Perhaps this is the end.

It’s just how I worry,
And I worry a lot.
The poet’s burden,
I guess…

No comments:

Post a Comment