Monday, June 17, 2019

Let Me Be Honest, Maybe



The honest confessions
of a mind unencumbered
with the trappings of social
morays is seemingly unwelcome.

The line between what I
want to say and what I can
actually say is quite strict.
It’s a tightrope.

The thought police would
have a field day with all the
impure, aggressive, and bizarre,
images that flash through my mind.

I can’t really say anything about
them though, as polite society would
not be too keen on my excesses of
random musings.

I am certain I’ve taken the joke
too far, I’ve been too rude, too
disinterested in your perspective to
speak wisely, as often as I have been nice.

I say I just want to be honest but
usually only deliver the half-truth,
because the whole truth would probably
make you think twice about our relationship.

I wonder about the half-truths we tell each other,
the unfinished imaginings aching to be fulfilled
but stay incomplete because we’re too afraid to
offend, embarrass or hurt people’s feelings.

I wonder what lusty thoughts tumble through
the minds of those around me, what hurtful
terrors are on the tips of tongues, what
true sadness is under the surface.

I can’t imagine mentioning it either.
Self-censoring is probably the key to a healthy
society, if we all just said what we thought,
it’d be anarchy.  

Perhaps not full out anarchy,
possibly anarchy lite.
Like, there’s fires lit, but
they’re not doing any damage.

The pillars of society aren’t going
to fall with a few choice hurtful words,
but we don’t want to take that chance,
as if one magic phrase will doom us all.

So I’ll bite my tongue,
smile politely,
nod with a resigned look on my face,
and carry on, keeping my thoughts to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment