Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Outrage Fever


Outrage fatigue,
I’m sure I have it.
I can no longer be
any more outraged as
I’m already so exhausted.

I’m outraged into submission,
which is not giving up;
I just need a vacation from
this constant outrage,
a little break is all.

But I cannot,
the outrageous outrages
just keep coming, endlessly,
without any chance for respite.
We must keep vigilant,
and awake and… (yawn)… fight.

Something or other with the
whozzits and that whatsitzs,
that we have to keep shaking
our fists at because those
ne'er-do-wells need to be
put in something something.

I’m sort of a cynic by nature,
I’m a little bit nihilistic at times too,
and yet even I am fatigued by the
outrages the news exposes me to
Every. Single. Day.

Is that the goal I wonder?
To wear us all out to the point of
complacency and get us to merely
acquiesce to the outrages as, “just more
of the same, blah, blah, blah”.  

I mean, I want a nap, a nice doze,
a quick retreat to the quiet sanctuaries
of my mind, but it’s too outraged to make
any more space. I can’t move the fluffy pillows
over any farther. It’s too crowded in this angst room.

Outrage Fever,
I think it’s spread like a zombie plague,
and the only cure is it to lop off
its head so we can get some
damn peace in here.

Meh, I’m too tired to lift
my arm. Just eat my brain zombie,
Eat me.
Ha.
Vive la résistance!



Image Credits
Creator:OtmarW
Credit:Getty Images/iStockphoto


No comments:

Post a Comment