Monday, October 7, 2019

Sort of Silly Really, After All



My fingers cannot find any
purchase on the slick shaft
of this cell.
The greasy walls of nightmares
have kept me down here.

Dark and cold in the forgotten
place. Damp, dank and dingy,
in the shadowed hole I sit.
Looking up for a peek of the moon,
shining overhead.

The sliver of silver, each midnight,
casting a blade of lunar lumens,
down the slippery walls of this
prison, slashing across my light
blinded eyes.

A nocturnal being, tossing and
slipping in the throes of terror,
squishing between barefoot toes,
the refuse of dreams; fuel for the
horrors of long nights.

Thick foggy breath, panting upwards
in clouds, circling above my head,
disappearing into the darkness of
the deepening chills and fear gripping
at the hair of my neck.

Shouts unheard, voice long gone,
a muffled whimper as ceaseless night
bares down keeping pleasantries far
from mind and hopes dashed, smoldering
ashes of wishes.

October, you say? Ah… that.
No wonder. What I relief!
I was worried I was going mad.
It’s just October. Nothing to worry about then.
Just the typical October stuff to endure. Whew!

(whistles)


No comments:

Post a Comment